Caring for Your Retainer
Instructions on how to care and wear your retainer:
- Wear your retainer full time, except while eating or playing sports.
- Brush your retainer every night with your toothbrush and toothpaste. You can also use a denture cleaner like Efferdent or white vinegar to deep clean your retainer.
- When not in your mouth, your retainer should be in your retainer case at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
- The number one way retainers get lost or thrown away is if they are wrapped in a napkin.
- DO NOT USE HOT WATER TO RINSE OR SOAK YOUR RETAINER OR LEAVE YOUR RETAINER IN A HOT CAR IN THE SUMMER (this could melt or warp your retainer and make it not fit anymore).
- Never leave your retainer where any pets might get a hold of it, they will chew it up (keep it away from small children, also. They could lose it).
- Try not to flip your retainer out of your mouth with your tongue. This can weaken the plastic or wires and cause it to break or loosen.
- If your retainer gets broken, save it and bring it with you when you come in. We can often repair them which will be less expensive than replacing it.
- Removable retainers should be worn 24 hours a day for 6 months. After 6 months, they may be worn at night only.
- After your braces are off for a while, your doctor may request to have an x-ray taken of your mouth to check the position of your wisdom teeth (wisdom teeth can often affect the position of your nice straight teeth).
If you have any questions for your orthodontist or are looking to learn more about replacing your retainer, please contact us and we’d be happy to help.
Caring For Your Retainer Instructions
Until next time, hang loose surfers!