Rubberband Use Instructions
Rubber bands are worn during the working phase of orthodontic treatment. They are in place to correct and align your bite. This is typically the longest and most difficult part of treatment. In order to assure that this process is completed on time. It is important that you follow the rubber band instructions very carefully. Failure to follow these instructions will delay the end of treatment.
Getting started with Braces Rubberbands
- Before you leave your first rubber band appointment make absolutely sure that you know where to hook your rubber bands. If bands are placed on the wrong teeth it will extend the length of treatment.
- It is normal to feel discomfort in your jaw and teeth for the first week. It is important to keep your bands on in order to get through this time.
When can you remove your bands:
- Brushing and flossing your teeth
- Replacing the bands.
- If you wear a mouthguard for sports, you may remove the bands. Please attach your bands as soon as your mouth guard is no longer in use.
- When otherwise instructed.
Wear your bands at ALL times, including Playing, Sleeping & Eating
- Wearing rubber bands while eating increases the rubber bands’ effectiveness.
- Though it is not recommended, you may, on a rare occasion, take your bands out for large meals if they really bother you.
- Replace the rubber bands after every meal.
When to replace your rubber bands:
- Your bands lose elasticity. Please change them 3-4 times a day.
- Replace your bands after every meal
- Change your bands after you wake up in the morning
- If you run out of bands or misplace them, please contact the office asap and we will provide you replacements.
- NEVER DOUBLE UP on rubber bands
Follow these recommended instructions for optimal results!
Tip from the team: A good idea is to carry your elastics in an empty makeup compact and use the mirror to easily place them!
Having braces may seem like a lot of work, and it can be at first for both parents and kids. But the new routine becomes easier with time. Wearing braces, complemented with diligent hygiene and the help of your dentist, will surely reward you with a great return on your investment which is straight, beautiful and healthy teeth. There is nothing more special than seeing our children smile, so be sure to keep the big picture in mind!
If you have any questions or need help applying your elastics, give us a call or email we’d be happy to assist you.
Until next time, Cowabunga dudes!